Government planning Provincial Council Election dates in 2021
Minister of Youth and Sports Namal Rajapaksa says the government aims to conduct the Provincial Council Election before the end of this year.
Speaking during the opening of the Nilwella sea aquarium in Dickwella, Minister Rajapaksa said he will support necessary amendments and other activities to conduct the election.
The Minister said he hopes to bring about amendments which have already been presented at the party leaders meetings.
In the event any opposition is raised over the Provincial Council Electoral system, Minister Rajapaksa requested them to present alternatives adding officials and assets of Councils were functioning as per usual, without officials appointed by public vote.
He claimed that many school grounds, health units and roads were maintained under Provincial Councils, which the government found challenging to help maintain.
(Source: News Radio)
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
- Bruno Divakara remanded until June 07 June 1, 2023
- Over 9,000 dengue cases reported in Sri Lanka in May, 2023 June 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka unexpectedly cuts rates by 250 bps as inflation eases June 1, 2023