Government takes over Polonnaruwa mills’ rice stocks
Rice stocks, which were in warehouses belonging to large scale rice mill owners in Polonnaruwa, were taken over by the Government yesterday on the instructions of President Gotabaya Rajapaksa.
Accordingly, the rice stocks belonging to ‘Nipuna, Lathpandura, Araliya, Hiru, New Rathna and Suriya’ rice mills were taken over to the Government under the direct supervision of Essential Services Commissioner Major General Senerath Niwunhella and the Consumer Affairs Authority Chairman Major General (Rtd) Shantha Dissanayake.
The rice stocks were taken over at the guaranteed prices announced by the Government and transported to Sathosa outlets. The Government aims to release these stocks to the consumers as soon as possible.
(Source: Daily News)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Official Creditor Committee confirms debt treatment deal with Sri Lanka November 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka President appoints Deshabandu Tennakoon as acting IGP November 29, 2023
- Creditor nations likely to agree on Sri Lanka debt restructuring – report November 29, 2023
- Netherlands returns six looted colonial-era artefacts to Sri Lanka November 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka needs $100 billion to become net zero emitter by 2040, president says November 29, 2023