Govt. releases 106 Indian fishermen
The Sri Lankan government on Monday ordered the release of 106 Indian fishermen who were in its custody on charges of poaching in Lankan waters.
Three fishermen arrested by the Lankan Navy on Sunday will also be released simultaneously.
The release orders for 55 fishermen had already been issued by the magistrates’ courts of Jaffna and Mannar, while the process of release of remaining 51 fishermen is expected to be completed on Monday.
According to officials of the Indian Consulate in Jaffna, the repatriation of these fishermen will take place later this week, the New Indian Express reported.
The fishermen had been arrested at various times since November last year, along with their fishing vessels. Their boats have however not been released.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka reports 80,222 dengue cases with 47 deaths December 11, 2023
- Sri Lanka Parliament decides to debate VAT (amendment) Bill today December 11, 2023
- ‘Unfair, Really Surprised’: Anjum Chopra on Chamari Athapaththu going unsold at WPL Auction December 11, 2023
- Sri Lankan migrant workers remit 5.4 Billion USD in first 11 months December 10, 2023
- Countrywide power outage in Sri Lanka due to a system failure December 9, 2023