Govt. releases 106 Indian fishermen
The Sri Lankan government on Monday ordered the release of 106 Indian fishermen who were in its custody on charges of poaching in Lankan waters.
Three fishermen arrested by the Lankan Navy on Sunday will also be released simultaneously.
The release orders for 55 fishermen had already been issued by the magistrates’ courts of Jaffna and Mannar, while the process of release of remaining 51 fishermen is expected to be completed on Monday.
According to officials of the Indian Consulate in Jaffna, the repatriation of these fishermen will take place later this week, the New Indian Express reported.
The fishermen had been arrested at various times since November last year, along with their fishing vessels. Their boats have however not been released.
- Sri Lanka’s LGBTQ+ community holds Pride march, demands end to discrimination June 5, 2023
- India’s first international cruise from Chennai to Sri Lanka to be flagged off today June 5, 2023
- ‘Sandahiru Seya Charity Trust’ donates Dialysis Machine to Anuradhapura Hospital June 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka records lowest tourism monthly income of US$ 132 Million in May June 5, 2023
- JVP asks public not to be distracted by circuses June 5, 2023
- Litro LP Gas prices in Sri Lanka reduced from today (June 04) June 4, 2023
- Odisha train collision: Sri Lanka President expresses deep sorrow, assures support June 4, 2023