Hasitha Samantha alias ‘Sarpaya’ acquitted and released from double murder case
Former member of the Sabaragamuwa Provincial Council Hasitha Samantha Muhandiram alias ‘Sarpaya’ has been acquitted and released from the case against him over a double murder in 1999.
Colombo High Court Judge Nawaratne Marasinghe delivered the decision when the case was taken up today (June 20).
The former politician was charged for the murders of former Sabaragamuwa provincial council Member Ranjith Nandasena and his security officer, who had been shot and killed, placed inside a vehicle and set ablaze in the Kalawana area in 1999.
The Judge had noted that Sri Lanka Police had carried out the investigations in a negligent manner, and the evidence, including the Judicial Medical evidence, lacked credibility.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka President at COP28 urges bold action in the face of alarming climate predictions December 2, 2023
- Diana Gamage, Sujith Perera and Rohana Bandara banned from Parliament December 2, 2023
- Sri Lanka bondholders raise concerns over debt deal transparency December 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan youths get jobs in Japan under the Special Skilled Worker (SSW) visa category December 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka Secures Rs. 20 Billion from Asian Development Bank for Rural Road Renovations December 1, 2023