Import tax on potatoes and big onions increased again
The import tax on potatoes has been increased from Rs.25 to Rs.40 per kilogramme while tax on big onions have been increased from Rs.30 to Rs.35 with effect from today (August 23), the Finance Ministry stated.
It was only on May 3 this year that the Ministry announced that import taxes on Potatoes would be increased by Rs.10 from Rs. 15 per kg to Rs.25 per kg.
The Ministry announced on June 12 this year that the special import tax on big onions would be doubled from Rs.15 per kg to Rs. 30.
Today, it announced that the import taxes on potatoes and big onions would be further increased by Rs.15 and Rs.5 respectively.
(Courtesy: Ada Derana)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lankan youths get jobs in Japan under the Special Skilled Worker (SSW) visa category December 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka Secures Rs. 20 Billion from Asian Development Bank for Rural Road Renovations December 1, 2023
- Results of 2022 (2023) G.C.E. O/L exam released December 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka revises fuel prices from November 30, 2023 November 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka inflation rises for second month on high energy costs November 30, 2023