Indian official’s house ransacked in Jaffna
Submitted by Walter Jayawarhana
The house of an Indian Consulate official in Jaffna was ransacked on Friday, a day after miscreants stormed the Bank of Ceylon building in Chennai.
Officials confirmed the attack and told The Hindu that a formal protest has been lodged. Ironically, Indian High Commission here lodged the protest soon after the Sri Lankan Demarche over the attack on the Bank of Ceylon.
The Jaffna Consulate officials are under the close watch of the Sri Lankan Armed Forces, and there have been instances of intimidation in the past.
In this instance, miscreants entered the house through a rear window of the house in broad daylight. The official was at the Consulate when his house was ransacked.
A video player and some money were taken away from the house. There appears to have been a thorough search of the premises, one official said. Even folded clothes and bed linen were taken apart and it appears that those who came were looking for something specific.
Jaffna, and the whole of the Northern Province, remains under the tight watch of the Sri Lankan Armed Forces. Though Army deployment is no longer very visible during the day in Jaffna, they patrol the area quite regularly. (Courtesy the Hindu)
- Fuel prices revised in Sri Lanka May 31, 2023
- Bruno Divakara arrested May 31, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Central Bank warns general public over 8 pyramid-type schemes May 31, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar May 31, 2023
- Chinese reaffirms support for Sri Lanka’s economic recovery May 31, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Central Bank to hold rates as inflation stays high May 31, 2023
- Sri Lanka to initiate new online passport application system May 30, 2023
What is good for the goose is good for the gander.
Is there a need for an Indian Consulate in Jaffna and Hambantota? They are really housing RAW agents spying for India. Isn’t it time GOSL close down their shops, especially if India vote with USA against SL? India needs to be punished this time by severing trade ties with them and inviting China to have a naval base in Trinco for a start.