Inland Revenue Amendment Bill can be passed by Simple Majority – Supreme Court
Sri Lanka’s Supreme Court has determined that the Inland Revenue Amendment Bill can be passed in parliament by a simple majority.
Speaker Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena announcing the determination in Parliament today (September 05) said that the Supreme Court has held that neither the bill or / nor any of its provisions is inconsistent with article 12 of any provisions of the constitution.
“Accordingly, the bill can be validly passed by a simple majority of the legislature,” he said.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023
- Hearing of Danushka Gunathilaka’s case concludes, verdict to be delivered next week September 21, 2023
- IMF chief Kristalina and Sri Lanka President Ranil discuss ongoing reforms and debt restructuring efforts September 21, 2023
- Two killed, two injured in shooting at Avissawella September 21, 2023
- Batticaloa Campus returned to Hizbullah September 20, 2023