Iranaitivu island identified as a COVID burial site
Iranaitivu island has been identified as a site to bury those who succumb with COVID-19 in the country.
Cabinet Spokesperson Minister Keheliya Rambukwella said the Technical Committee of the Ministry of Health identified the burial site and necessary guidelines will be issued shortly.
The government recently revised its ‘cremation only’ policy and granted approval for burials of COVID-19 victims.
Accordingly, a gazette notification was issued by the Director General of Health Services permitting both cremation and burial of COVID-19 victims.
Meanwhile, another gazette notification is expected to issued detailing the guidelines to carry-out burials of COVID-19 victims in Sri Lanka.
(Source: News Radio)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s acting finance minister says positive progress in securing second IMF tranche September 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka Navy seizes Kerala cannabis worth over Rs. 33 million in Karainagar September 29, 2023
- Some Sri Lanka creditors seeking debt restructuring deal without China September 29, 2023
- SriLankan Airlines partners with Virgin Australia September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023