Johann Peries second Sri Lankan to summit Mt. Everest
Sri Lanka’s Johann Peries successfully summited the 29,030 feet of Mount Everest at 5.55 a.m in Nepal time today.
Johann Peries made this feat at his second attempt. His first attempt in 2016 was unsuccessful because of an oxygen tank failure hit when just 400 meters away from the summit.
Peries is now on his descent, which will take him two days to reach the Base Camp. The Mt. Everest descent is significantly more treacherous than the climb up the mountain. Many have lost their lives on their way back down the mountain, than on the climb.
Jayanthi Kuru Utumpala was the first Sri Lankan to conquer the mountain, who achieved the feat in 2016. This makes Johann Peries the second Sri Lankan to summit Everest.
Posting a Twitter message the Foreign Employment Bureau had wished their warmest congratulations.
- Cabinet approves resume of the Colombo Light Rail Transit project May 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to implement strict law enforcement against religious disharmony May 30, 2023
- Food insecurity improved in Sri Lanka but prevails within specific regions – FAO and WFP May 29, 2023
- ADB approves $350 Million for Sri Lanka economic stabilization programme May 29, 2023
- Ven. Rajangane Saddharathana Thera arrested May 29, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya remanded till June 7 May 28, 2023
- Fuel quota to be increased from Tuesday May 28, 2023