Johnston Fernando released on bail
Former Minister Johnston Fernando, who was arrested and remanded over charges of financial fraud, was released on bail by the Kurunegala High Court today.
He was ordered released on a cash bail of 25,000 and three personal bails of Rs 2.5 million each.
The Attorney General had not raised objections to the bail appeal which was taken up for consideration today.
The Financial Crimes Investigation Division (FCID) arrested the former Minister as he arrived at the FCID to give a statement on alleged financial misappropriations amounting to Rs 5,275,000 at the Lanka Sathosa Ltd on May 05.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka to launch new vehicle revenue license system (eRL 2.0) on October 7 October 3, 2023
- World’s leading tech companies deeply criticize Sri Lanka’s Online Safety Bill October 2, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government says No more emergency purchases of medicines October 2, 2023
- IMF unveils 16-point plan to address governance challenges in Sri Lanka October 2, 2023
- Corrupt elements use Parliament, Finance Ministry to evade taxes October 2, 2023