Karunanidhi’s daughter holds talks in Colombo
Tamil Nadu politician Kanimozhi Karunanidhi, daughter of former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Muthuvel Karunanidhi, has had talks in Colombo with the Government and others.
She met Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe for talks in Colombo today (Friday) which was also attended by Minister Rauff Hakeem.
Kanimozhi had also discussed the fishermen issue with the Government at a meeting held with the State Minister of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Development Dilip Wedaarachchi.
The Tamil Nadu MP had raised concerns over alleged attacks on Tamil Nadu fishermen.
Yesterday (Thursday) she attended the wedding of Minister Rauff Hakeem’s daughter in Colombo.
India and Sri Lanka have had several rounds of discussions on Indian fishermen poaching in Sri Lankan waters but the issue has not yet been resolved.
Hundreds of Indian fishermen continue to cross into Sri Lankan waters and most are often arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy.
Indian fishermen, however allege that the Navy often attacks them at sea, an allegation the Navy denies.
(Source: Colombo Gazette)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lankan migrant workers remit 5.4 Billion USD in first 11 months December 10, 2023
- Countrywide power outage in Sri Lanka due to a system failure December 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka to implement another electricity tariff revision in January 2024 December 9, 2023
- ‘Kush’ worth Rs. 100 Million seized in luggage left behind at Bandaranaike International Airport December 9, 2023
- Air Arabia launches direct flights to Sri Lanka from Abu Dhabi December 9, 2023