‘Kosgoda Tharaka’ shot dead by police
Notorious underworld figure “Kosgoda Tharaka”, who was under detention order with Peliyagoda Special Crimes Division, has been shot dead early this morning at Meerigama when he tried to attack police while recovering some weapons, police said.
Tharaka Perera Wijesekara alias “Kosgoda Tharaka” is the main suspect in the Matara jewellery store heist in 2018, which resulted in the death of a police officer following a shoot-out between criminals and the police.
He was arrested on June 22, 2018 after he had been admitted to the Karapitiya Hospital with gunshot wounds, along with two more gang members, following the shootout with police during an armed robbery at a jewellery shop in Matara.
Kosgoda Tharaka had been wanted in connection with murders and several other crimes.
(Source: Ada Derana)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka Customs seizes Drugs worth over Rs. 60 Million December 7, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Dengue cases increased to 78,322 December 7, 2023
- Three Sri Lankans, including Ranish Hewage serving in the Ukraine Army killed in Russian attack December 7, 2023
- DIG Nalaka de Silva released from case over alleged VIP assassination plot December 6, 2023
- Pressure grows on UK over British Museum treasures as Netherlands returns major colonial artefacts December 6, 2023