Kumar Sangakkara passes 12,000 Test runs
Sri Lanka batsman Kumar Sangakkara has become the fastest player to reach 12,000 runs in Test cricket – and only the fifth to reach the landmark.
The 37-year-old achieved the feat in his 224th Test innings, during his side’s second Test in New Zealand.
India’s Sachin Tendulkar and Australia’s Ricky Ponting both needed 247 innings to surpass the mark.
Sangakkara’s 33 not out helped his side to 78-5 after the Kiwis were all out for 221 on day one in Wellington.
New Zealand lead the series 1-0 after an eight-wicket win in Christchurch.
Sangakkara began his innings on 11,995 runs and was given a standing ovation when he became the first Sri Lankan to reach 12,000 by knocking Trent Boult square for two.
Tendulkar (15,921), Ponting (13,378), South African Jacques Kallis (13,289) and India’s Rahul Dravid (13,288) are the only four players to have scored more Test runs than Sangakkara.
- Litro LP Gas prices in Sri Lanka reduced from today (June 04) June 4, 2023
- Odisha train collision: Sri Lanka President expresses deep sorrow, assures support June 4, 2023
- Corporal’s bravery in Ududumbara commended by the Sri Lanka Army Commander June 3, 2023
- Price of Litro gas to be reduced by Rs. 350? June 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
Congratulations Sanga! You made Sri Lanka proud.