Lankan killed in accident in New York
Posted in Local News
Police say a 71-year-old Sri Lankan immigrant who worked as a New York Police Department traffic enforcement agent had been killed by a truck as it pulled away from a parking spot in midtown Manhattan.
NYPD said that Kalyanarat Ranasinghe was pinned under the wheel and declared dead at the scene on Saturday afternoon. They said the 43-year-old driver of the truck remained at the scene.
His son-in-law said Ranasinghe emigrated from Sri Lanka about 20 years ago. He said Ranasinghe had been married for more than 50 years and had one daughter.
Mayor Michael Bloomberg offered his prayers for the family.
- Sri Lanka records lowest tourism monthly income of US$ 132 Million in May June 5, 2023
- JVP asks public not to be distracted by circuses June 5, 2023
- Litro LP Gas prices in Sri Lanka reduced from today (June 04) June 4, 2023
- Odisha train collision: Sri Lanka President expresses deep sorrow, assures support June 4, 2023
- Corporal’s bravery in Ududumbara commended by the Sri Lanka Army Commander June 3, 2023
- Price of Litro gas to be reduced by Rs. 350? June 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023