Listen to medical experts at least now: JVP urges Government
The Government should at least now pay heed to the recommendations and guidance of medical experts and specialists in the effort to combat the COVID pandemic, as the only way forward in economic and social aspects was to get rid of the pandemic as soon as possible, former JVP MP Sunil Handunetti said yesterday.
He said the Government has failed to introduce a joint action plan to combat the pandemic as yet and went on to say that some medical specialists have withdrawn from their positions and responsibilities due to the Government’s failed approach in the prevention of the COVID pandemic.
“Considering this as a national task, the Government should have acted with a joint action plan irrespective of party politics. The Government has failed to adopt such an approach and has proved its failure, where some specialist doctors have resigned from the positions and responsibilities in the COVID prevention task,” he said.
Mr. Handunnetti, who attended the occasion to hand over a stock of medical equipment to the Colombo National Hospital, said that the JVP had organised a programme to provide medical equipment to twelve hospitals in different parts of the country.
He said the current lockdown was not practical and that it had only put the lives of the ordinary people in disarray.
(Source: Daily Mirror – By Ajith Siriwardana)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023
- Hearing of Danushka Gunathilaka’s case concludes, verdict to be delivered next week September 21, 2023