Lorry, Podi Menike collision leaves two dead
Two people died when a lorry collided with the Podi Menike express train at an unprotected railway crossing in Wijayarajadahana Ambanawathuyaya yesterday, the Police said.
The train was heading to Badulla when the accident occurred around 7 a.m yesterday. The two people in the lorry died on the spot. The victims were identified as W. Nimal Seneviratne (54) and B. P. Sarath (49) of Mawanella.
The railway crossing does not have a gate or lights except for a warning notice. A group of school children who were walking on the road at the time of the accident had shouted and warned about the approaching train, but the lorry had already crossed the railway line. The lorry was thrown into the air after the collision. The postmortems of the victims were to be held at the Wathupitiwala Hospital yesterday. Meerigama Police is investigating.
(Courtesy: Daily News)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Permission not given to Chinese ship to dock, India’s concerns important: Sabry September 26, 2023
- Sri Lanka squad named for ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 September 26, 2023
- S&P raises Sri Lanka local currency ratings to ‘CCC+/C’, says outlook stable September 26, 2023
- Sri Lanka President expresses dissatisfaction with country’s current education system September 26, 2023
- Chinese model breaks U.S. hegemony: former Sri Lankan diplomat September 26, 2023