Madam ‘Jeena’ to be indicted
The Attorney General is expected to indict the wealthy woman known as Madam ‘Jeena’ who ran a star-class brothel in the heart of Colombo, on charges of prostitution and human trafficking.
The key suspect Rosemary Felicia Perera also known as ‘Madam Jeena’ who was evading arrest in another case was arrested by a special police team at a brothel in a shopping complex in Kollupitiya.
The suspect had kept away from inquiries at the Fort Magistrate’s Court and the Colombo High Court over similar charges.
A police team lead by Corruption Prevention Unit OIC SI Janaka de Silva had arrested the main suspect, her aides and 15 women used as sex workers comprising of locals and foreigners. The foreign women were from Uzbekistan and China.
Felicia Perera is to be charged with human trafficking and procuring, while the others will be charged for aiding and abetting to commit the offence.
Meanwhile Colombo High Court Judge Deepali Wijesundara released two Uzbekistan women. Senior State Counsel Dileepa Peiries appeared for the prosecution. (Susitha R. Fernando)
Source: DM Online
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka Parliament approves VAT (amendment) Bill December 11, 2023
- Sri Lanka reports 80,222 dengue cases with 47 deaths December 11, 2023
- Sri Lanka Parliament decides to debate VAT (amendment) Bill today December 11, 2023
- ‘Unfair, Really Surprised’: Anjum Chopra on Chamari Athapaththu going unsold at WPL Auction December 11, 2023
- Sri Lankan migrant workers remit 5.4 Billion USD in first 11 months December 10, 2023