President began the year with a lie – Ranil
President Mahinda Rajapakse began 2010 with a lie as he promised that public sector salaries will be increased within the year but nothing has been done about it so far, Opposition Leader Ranil Wickremesinghe said at a press conference in Colombo today.
He stated that former LTTE Chief Arms Procurer Kumaran Pathmanathan’s wealth could have been utilized to grant government employees a two year salary increase.
He further implored the government to make a clear statement about the salary increments as well as the electricity tariff increases proposed in the budget.
Courtesy: Ada Derana
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023
- Bar Association of Sri Lanka demands withdrawal of Anti-Terrorism and Online Safety Bills September 24, 2023
- Malaysian Police tracking down two Sri Lankan triple murder suspects September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023