Maiden run on new Matara-Beliatta railway track sets off
The newly constructed Matara -Beliatta railway extension vested with the public this morning. A passenger train from Matara reached the Beliatta railway station, marking its maiden journey.
According to the Ministry of Transport, trains will complete its journeys between Matara and Beliatta in 20 minutes at 120kmph.
The new railway track was vested with the public under the patronage of Minister of Transport and Civil Aviation Arjuna Ranatunga in accordance with the project themed ‘Dakunu Lakata Aluth Magak’ (New Road to Southern Sri Lanka).
Concurrent to the inaugural ceremony of Matara-Beliatta railway line, new railway stations at Piladuwa, Weherahena, Kekanadura, Bambarenda, Wewrukannala and Beliatta will be declared open. A feasibility study on constructing a new 100km-long railway line from Matara to Kataragama was conducted in 1990 and the foundation stone for the project was laid in 1992.
- Food insecurity improved in Sri Lanka but prevails within specific regions – FAO and WFP May 29, 2023
- ADB approves $350 Million for Sri Lanka economic stabilization programme May 29, 2023
- Ven. Rajangane Saddharathana Thera arrested May 29, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya remanded till June 7 May 28, 2023
- Fuel quota to be increased from Tuesday May 28, 2023
- India did more for Sri Lanka than IMF – Jaishankar May 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to Issue digital birth certificates May 28, 2023
Why wasn’t MR invited for this ceremony?
The Minister, Arjuna R, is a super sportsman.
He should be able to climb petty political rivalries.
Thank You China!
Had MR continued, this would have extended to Kataragama (and probably beyond to encircle the country, and thus to generate more from tourism) by now.