Mangala surrenders to Matara police
UNP MP Mangala Samaraweera surrendered to the Matara police through his lawyers a short while ago.
The Matara Magistrate court ordered the arrest of 11 persons including Samaraweera yesterday over the clash between two groups of UNP supporters in Matara on October 5 which left several persons injured.
The UNP MP stated that he was ready to surrender to the court during the course of the morning today.
A total of 34 persons have been apprehended over the incident while they have been remanded until October 21.
Meanwhile, UNP General Secretary Tissa Attanayake believes that the government intends to destroy the opposition party by using this incident.
UNP MP Sujeewa Senasinghe however said while participating in the 360 programme on TV Derana, that the legal action must be taken against any person who breaks the law in this country.
(Courtesy: Ada Derana)
- Sri Lanka relaxes import restrictions on over 300 items June 10, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to go ahead with privatising SLT despite ‘NO’ from S.O.C. on National Security June 10, 2023
- Seven Police Narcotics Bureau officers arrested over death of vocational trainer in custody June 9, 2023
- Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security recommends not to privatise Sri Lanka Telecom June 9, 2023
- Sarath Fonseka resigns from Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security June 9, 2023