Modernised BIA runway re-opens today
The rehabilitated and modernised runway of the Bandaranaike International Airport, Katunayake, will be re-opened today from 12.30 p.m. Transport and Civil Aviation Minister Nimal Siripala de Silva said a new SriLankan flight UL-1162 is scheduled to land at 12.30 p.m. today from Trivandrum, the first arrival after the reopening of the airport.He said US$ 50 million has been spent for the project.
The rehabilitated runway will be able to accommodate A380s as the width of the runway has been increased to 75 metres from 60 metres.
Rehabilitation work has been conducted according to the technology from the Netherlands while the energy efficient LED Light system has been installed for ground lighting on the runaway. This will make it easy for pilots and would also ensure a 80 percent saving of energy,” the Minister said.
(Source: Daily News – By Irangika Range)
- Sri Lanka’s Central Bank warns general public over 8 pyramid-type schemes May 31, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar May 31, 2023
- Chinese reaffirms support for Sri Lanka’s economic recovery May 31, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Central Bank to hold rates as inflation stays high May 31, 2023
- Sri Lanka to initiate new online passport application system May 30, 2023
- India extends USD 1 Billion Credit Line for Sri Lanka until March 2024 May 30, 2023
- Cabinet approves resume of the Colombo Light Rail Transit project May 30, 2023
Thank god for that. I am fed up going home every month around mid night.