Modi and Sirisena to jointly open renovated Jaffna stadium
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and President President Maithripala Sirisena will jointly inaugurate the renovated Duraiappah Stadium in Jaffna through video conferencing on June 18, the New Indian Express reported.
While Modi will speak from India, Sirisena will speak from Jaffna, where he would be the Chief Guest at the gala opening ceremony.
A landmark in Jaffna town, the Duraiappah stadium has been renovated over the last two years by the Lankan company Wahid Constructions, with an Indian government grant of LKR 145 million.
Apart from renovating the main and secondary pavilions, a gymnasium has been built. A playground with a 400 meter track has been laid, and floodlights have been put up. Adequate sanitary and garbage disposal facilities have also been installed.
When it is thrown open to the public, the primary beneficiaries will be the 50,000 school students in the Jaffna peninsula ,who had lacked sports facilities for 30 years because of the war.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Nadeesha Dilhani Lekamge wins Asian Games athletics medal after 17 years October 3, 2023
- World Bank boosts Sri Lanka economic forecasts after inflation progress October 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka President slams western media, says no to international probe October 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka Bondholder Lawsuit Should Be Put on Hold, U.S. Says October 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch new vehicle revenue license system (eRL 2.0) on October 7 October 3, 2023