Modi and Sirisena to jointly open renovated Jaffna stadium
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and President President Maithripala Sirisena will jointly inaugurate the renovated Duraiappah Stadium in Jaffna through video conferencing on June 18, the New Indian Express reported.
While Modi will speak from India, Sirisena will speak from Jaffna, where he would be the Chief Guest at the gala opening ceremony.
A landmark in Jaffna town, the Duraiappah stadium has been renovated over the last two years by the Lankan company Wahid Constructions, with an Indian government grant of LKR 145 million.
Apart from renovating the main and secondary pavilions, a gymnasium has been built. A playground with a 400 meter track has been laid, and floodlights have been put up. Adequate sanitary and garbage disposal facilities have also been installed.
When it is thrown open to the public, the primary beneficiaries will be the 50,000 school students in the Jaffna peninsula ,who had lacked sports facilities for 30 years because of the war.
- India did more for Sri Lanka than IMF – Jaishankar May 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to Issue digital birth certificates May 28, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya arrested over remarks on Buddhism May 28, 2023
- Veteran Diplomat Jayantha Dhanapala passes away May 27, 2023
- Sri Lanka President instructs to install high-tech scanners at BIA VIP terminal May 27, 2023
- Sri Lanka to commence Cannabis cultivation project May 26, 2023
- Dr. Shafi Shihabdeen reassigned to Kurunegala Hospital May 26, 2023