Namal wants Maithri to find solution for fishermen
UPFA MP Namal Rajapaksa while asserting that President Maithripala Sirisena would find solutions to the fishermen issue said that postponing talks will affect Northern fishermen most.
“Former President Mahinda Rajapaksa and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi worked closely to find solutions to Indo-Sri Lanka fishermen issues. Hope that President Maitripala Sirisena will do the same. Postponing talks will affect Northern fishermen most because they suffered during war and now their livelihoods are threatened,” Mr. Rajapaksa tweeted.
International media earlier reported that the Sri Lankan government would seek to postpone the talks with the fishermen folks of two countries.
Following Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s emphasis on resuming talks between fishermen from both sides – conveyed during President Sirisena’s recent New Delhi visit – Tamil Nadu fishermen suggested that the discussions be held on March 5. However, Sri Lanka requested for a postponement of talks. “Our new government has prioritised its 100-day programme, so we do not have time to work on this at the moment,” Fisheries Secretary Nimal Hettiarachchi told The Hindu.
The last round of talks between fishermen of India and Sri Lanka, held in Colombo in May 2014 ended in a deadlock with Indian fishermen demanding three years to completely phase out trawling, a proposal that their Sri Lankan counterparts found unreasonable.
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
- Bruno Divakara remanded until June 07 June 1, 2023
- Over 9,000 dengue cases reported in Sri Lanka in May, 2023 June 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka unexpectedly cuts rates by 250 bps as inflation eases June 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s key inflation rate eases to 25.2% in May June 1, 2023
- Fuel prices revised in Sri Lanka May 31, 2023
What his father could not do for the last 10 years he is now telling Mr.Maithri to do he seems to be a joker in the pack the question is does want the present president to do it or is he making fun of him
Namal, it is good and nice to find solutions for the livlihoods of the fishermen. Please also demolish all the hotels which were built on the poor fishermen’s land which were taken by force and see that they can earn their living again.