Nation to go silent on 16th anniversary of tsunami at 9.25 am today
A two-minute silence will be observed island-wide in Sri Lanka at 9.25 am this morning (26) to commemorate the thousands of people who died in the 2004 Tsunami, the Disaster Management Center (DMC) says.
Today marks the 16th anniversary of the 2004 Boxing Day Tsunami, one of the world’s deadliest and most destructive natural disasters, struck over 10 countries in the Indian Ocean.
In Sri Lanka, over 40,000 persons were killed and property worth several million rupees was destroyed by the Tsunami.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka needs $100 billion to become net zero emitter by 2040, president says November 29, 2023
- 40 Government hospitals in Sri Lanka closed and another 100 about to close November 28, 2023
- October sees 20% decline in apparel exports from Sri Lanka November 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka approves Sinopec’s $4.5 billion refinery proposal November 28, 2023
- Tamil Nadu government failed to understand the problem in Sri Lanka: Murali November 27, 2023