National Intelligence Chief resigns
Chief of the State Intelligence Service, former DIG Sisira Mendis, who testified before the Parliamentary Select committee on Easter Sunday attacks, has resigned citing health reasons, a senior defence official confirmed.
President Maithripala Sirisena summoned an emergency cabinet meeting on Friday night and has refused to allow any police, military or intelligence personnel to testify before the committee.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023
- Bar Association of Sri Lanka demands withdrawal of Anti-Terrorism and Online Safety Bills September 24, 2023
- Malaysian Police tracking down two Sri Lankan triple murder suspects September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023