Nekath for New Year
Bathing for the old year is April 13. Naanu made of herbal wood apple leaf juice must be applied on the head before bathing.
New Year dawns on April 14 at 1.47 p.m.
Kindling the hearth on April 14 at 2.05 p.m. attired in red and facing the East, kindle the hearth and prepare milk rice out of red rice mixed with sugar cane, jaggery and dee kiri made out of rice corn (vilande)
Auspicious time for first business transaction and partaking meals: At 2.42 p.m. on April 14 facing the East attired in red
Auspicious time to apply oil on head: At 9.06 a.m. on April 15 facing the South. Khomba leaves must be placed on the head and kolon leaves under the feet
Leaving for work: At 6.02 a.m. on April 22. Leave after partaking of milk rice mixed with jaggery, sesame and sweetmeats, attired in light green, facing East.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Dengue cases increased to 78,322 December 7, 2023
- DIG Nalaka de Silva released from case over alleged VIP assassination plot December 6, 2023
- Pressure grows on UK over British Museum treasures as Netherlands returns major colonial artefacts December 6, 2023
- Police officer takes his own life at Peliyagoda Interchange of Katunayake Expressway December 6, 2023
- Sagala asks officials about progress of Beira Lake Development Project December 6, 2023