News websites to pay registration fee and Rs.50,000 annually
Steps are being taken to introduce new laws to make compulsory the registration of new news websites in Sri Lanka while a registration fee and an annual renewal fee will be charged as well, Media Minister Keheliya Rambukwella stated.
Speaking at the Cabinet Briefing today (July 12), the Minister stated that a sum of Rs.100,000 will be charged for registration while an annual fee of Rs.50,000 will be charged as a renewal fee.
The Minister stated that the measure, which was approved by the cabinet, was taken to control some news websites which published slanderous content.
Courtesy: Ada Derana
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Dengue cases increased to 78,322 December 7, 2023
- DIG Nalaka de Silva released from case over alleged VIP assassination plot December 6, 2023
- Pressure grows on UK over British Museum treasures as Netherlands returns major colonial artefacts December 6, 2023
- Police officer takes his own life at Peliyagoda Interchange of Katunayake Expressway December 6, 2023
- Sagala asks officials about progress of Beira Lake Development Project December 6, 2023