Omanthai railway station declared open
The rebuilt railway track from Thandikulam to Omanthai and the Omanthai railway station were declared open a short while ago by Transport Minister Kumara Welgama. Operations of the Yal Devi train will now be extended up to the Omanthai railway station after 21 years, the Railway Department said.
Construction of the new railway station in Omanthai had been funded, for the first time, by a private company and the railway line has been restored by the Railway Department with voluntary support from the Sri Lanka Army.
Northern railway line from Omanthai to Pallai is scheduled to be constructed as the next phase of the project to operate trains from Colombo to Kankesanthurai (KKS).
Courtesy: Ada Derana
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023
- Bar Association of Sri Lanka demands withdrawal of Anti-Terrorism and Online Safety Bills September 24, 2023
- Malaysian Police tracking down two Sri Lankan triple murder suspects September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023