Opposition Leader should withdraw statements on UPFA candidates – Media Minister
Media Minister Lakshman Yapa Abeyawardana says that the Opposition Leader Ranil Wickremasinghe has still not realized his role in the politics and always makes statements which don’t fit for an experienced politician like him.
At a press briefing in Colombo yesterday, the Media Minister said that a statement, he (Mr. Wickremasighe) made about national cricket player and United People’s Freedom Alliance (UPFA) candidate for Matara district Sanath Jayasuriya should be withdrawn by the Opposition Leader.
Minister Abeyewardane said let the general public of Matara district decide if Mr. Jayasuriya should be sent to the Parliament or not. “Best option is giving an option for public to decide, instead of making useless statements”, the Minister added.
Minister Abeyewardane also added that, Mr. Jayasuriya entered into the politics only because of the request from the leadership of the Freedom Alliance and he has no personal agendas or plans to enter into the politics. “But, as a responsible regime we want candidates representing all cross sections of the society. We were looking for sports personalities, actors and actresses, professionals, intellectuals and many more. That is how Jayasuriya’s entry into politics was made”, the Minister said.
“Jayasuriya is a player who played for the country. He brought proud for the country and nation. His foreign tours are not for personal needs but for the country”, the Media Minister stressed.
The Minister further added that the Opposition leader has also made a statement about UPFA candidate Geetha Kumarasinghe who contests the elections from the Galle district.
“These statements are not for an Opposition leader and a leader of party to make. He must quickly withdraw such statements proving his party is responsible and not after cheap publicity campaign for the elections,” the Minister said.
Source: Asian Tribune – By Anjana Jayashan
- Sri Lanka to initiate new online passport application system May 30, 2023
- India extends USD 1 Billion Credit Line for Sri Lanka until March 2024 May 30, 2023
- Cabinet approves resume of the Colombo Light Rail Transit project May 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to implement strict law enforcement against religious disharmony May 30, 2023
- Food insecurity improved in Sri Lanka but prevails within specific regions – FAO and WFP May 29, 2023
- ADB approves $350 Million for Sri Lanka economic stabilization programme May 29, 2023
- Ven. Rajangane Saddharathana Thera arrested May 29, 2023
Laundry man be clean keep clean
Laxman, Ranil is the best Joker after Fride Silva died. Let him tell what ever he wants. We enjoy this bugger.
Laxman, Ranil jokaraya kiyana ewa ganan ganda epa, Oya Jangiya modayek !