‘Our Sri Lanka Freedom Front’ changes name; GL named Chairman
The political party registered as “Our Sri Lanka Freedom Front” (Ape Sri Lanka Nidahas Peramuna), with the symbol of a budding flower, has reportedly changed its name to “Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna,” according to sources.
Former foreign minister Professor G.L. Peiris has been named as the new Chairman of the party, political sources told Ada Derana.
Attorney-at-law Sagara Kariyawasam had served as the Secretary of the party, which has a ‘flower bud’ as its symbol.
The Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna is to be officially unveiled as the new political party of the ‘Joint Opposition’ on November 18, sources said.
It is said that preparations are underway to launch the party in an event in Anuradhapura at an auspicious time on November 18, the birthday of former President Mahinda Rajapaksa.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- CEYPETCO increases fuel prices October 1, 2023
- Sinopec increases fuel prices in Sri Lanka October 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka introduces insurance scheme for Animals October 1, 2023
- Niluka Karunaratne announces retirement October 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka begins system to issue e-bills for water October 1, 2023