Over 288,085 marooned by bad weather
More than 288,085 people have been affected by floods and landslides in the country, the Disaster Management Centre (DMC) said.
According to the DMC, 288,085 people belonging to 78,527 families have been affected while 22,369 people from 6,537 families have been housed in shelters.
The government has instructed the relevant authorities to take immediate measures to ensure relief for the families hit by the bad weather.
The spill gates of several tanks including the Kalawewa, Rajanganaya, Tisawewa, Nuwarawewa, Nachchaduwa, and Mahakanadarawa tanks have been opened.
According to the Water Management Unit of the Department of Agrarian Development the opening of spill gates were done due to water levels of 300 tanks in the Anuradhapira District alone have reached the danger level as a result of continuous rain.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka Parliament approves VAT (amendment) Bill December 11, 2023
- Sri Lanka reports 80,222 dengue cases with 47 deaths December 11, 2023
- Sri Lanka Parliament decides to debate VAT (amendment) Bill today December 11, 2023
- ‘Unfair, Really Surprised’: Anjum Chopra on Chamari Athapaththu going unsold at WPL Auction December 11, 2023
- Sri Lankan migrant workers remit 5.4 Billion USD in first 11 months December 10, 2023