Passenger travelling on roof of train dies after falling in Horape
A passenger who was on the roof of the Kandy to Colombo train had died after falling off in Horape this morning (September 12), the Railway Control Room said.
Local officials said that the 20-year-old victim had boarded the train from the Ragama train station and had fallen off the train roof after knocking against the roof of the Horape railway station and died on the spot.
Passenger congestion was experienced at many railway stations across the country, due to a strike launched by the Locomotive Engineers.
At least 20 commuter trains scheduled to operate this morning were cancelled this morning due to the strike action launched from midnight yesterday (September 11) by the Locomotive Operating Engineers’ Union, citing recruitment and retirement issues.
As a result of the trade union action, passengers were seen train surfing due to overcrowding, and many others were left stranded at railway stations.
However, the Sri Lanka Transport Board (SLTB) said that it deployed additional buses to multiple railway stations to transport passengers.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023
- Hearing of Danushka Gunathilaka’s case concludes, verdict to be delivered next week September 21, 2023
- IMF chief Kristalina and Sri Lanka President Ranil discuss ongoing reforms and debt restructuring efforts September 21, 2023
- Two killed, two injured in shooting at Avissawella September 21, 2023
- Batticaloa Campus returned to Hizbullah September 20, 2023