Persons arrested for trying to transfer 50,000 Euros via Undiyal system
A person attempting to transfer 50,000 Euros overseas through the ‘Undiyal’ system has been arrested by the Special Task Force (STF) at Pepiliyana in Boralesgamuwa.
The arrested suspect is a 53-year-old resident of Punchi Borella.
The foreign currency, all in 100 Euro notes, has been valued at around 18.69 million Sri Lankan rupees.
The STF said this comes under the offence of money laundering, where it was suspected that the money was not part of the proceeds.
The arrested suspect has been handed over to the Illegal Assets Investigation Division in Kirulapone for further investigations.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023
- Bar Association of Sri Lanka demands withdrawal of Anti-Terrorism and Online Safety Bills September 24, 2023
- Malaysian Police tracking down two Sri Lankan triple murder suspects September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023