Polgolla bus bombing in 2008: Five years RI for ex-LTTEers
Four suspected to be former members of LTTE who pleaded guilty of conspiring to explode a bomb inside a private bus plying from Matale to Kandy near the Polgolla Open University in 2008 were yesterday sentenced to five years rigorous imprisonment by the Colombo High Court.
The four accused were ordered to pay a fine of Rs.20,000 each by High Court Judge Sampath Abeykoon. Three were killed and 20 injured when a bomb exploded inside a bus in 2008. Defence counsel moved court that a lenient sentence be passed against the accused since they were kept in remand custody since 2008, for 10 years.
Further trial will be proceeded against two other accused who pleaded not guilty to the charges on October 12.
(Source: Daily News – By Lakmal Sooriyagoda)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Nadeesha Dilhani Lekamge wins Asian Games athletics medal after 17 years October 3, 2023
- World Bank boosts Sri Lanka economic forecasts after inflation progress October 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka President slams western media, says no to international probe October 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka Bondholder Lawsuit Should Be Put on Hold, U.S. Says October 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch new vehicle revenue license system (eRL 2.0) on October 7 October 3, 2023