Polgolla bus bombing in 2008: Five years RI for ex-LTTEers
Four suspected to be former members of LTTE who pleaded guilty of conspiring to explode a bomb inside a private bus plying from Matale to Kandy near the Polgolla Open University in 2008 were yesterday sentenced to five years rigorous imprisonment by the Colombo High Court.
The four accused were ordered to pay a fine of Rs.20,000 each by High Court Judge Sampath Abeykoon. Three were killed and 20 injured when a bomb exploded inside a bus in 2008. Defence counsel moved court that a lenient sentence be passed against the accused since they were kept in remand custody since 2008, for 10 years.
Further trial will be proceeded against two other accused who pleaded not guilty to the charges on October 12.
(Source: Daily News – By Lakmal Sooriyagoda)
- Nathasha Edirisooriya arrested over remarks on Buddhism May 28, 2023
- Veteran Diplomat Jayantha Dhanapala passes away May 27, 2023
- Sri Lanka President instructs to install high-tech scanners at BIA VIP terminal May 27, 2023
- Sri Lanka to commence Cannabis cultivation project May 26, 2023
- Dr. Shafi Shihabdeen reassigned to Kurunegala Hospital May 26, 2023
- Dasun Shanaka hasn’t lived up to even 1% of expectations in IPL – Virender Sehwag May 26, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar May 26, 2023