Police fire tear gas at protestors in Maradana
Sri Lanka Police have fired tear gas and used water cannons to disperse protestors near the Elphinstone Theatre in Maradana, a short while ago.
Protesters were protesting against the Sri Lanka Government’s spending to mark the country’s 75th Independence Day celebrations despite the ongoing economic crisis.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka introduces insurance scheme for Animals October 1, 2023
- Niluka Karunaratne announces retirement October 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka begins system to issue e-bills for water October 1, 2023
- Person arrested over shooting of elephant “Sita” granted bail September 30, 2023
- International Commission of Jurists says Online Safety Bill is an assault on freedoms September 30, 2023