President declares open Colombo – Katunayake Expressway
President Mahinda Rajapaksa declared open the Colombo- Katunayake Expressway a short while ago.
The Colombo-Katunayake expressway is Sri Lanka’s second E Class highway.
The expressway which begins near the Colombo-Kelani bridge ends at Katunayake covering a distance of 26 kilometres.
The Road Development Authority states that 20 minutes is the time taken to travel from Colombo to Katunayake along the expressway.
Construction work on the expressway commenced in 2009.
The RDA states that this is the first expressway in the country to be constructed using sea-sand as a raw material.
(Courtesy: Ceylon Today Online)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Asian Games 2023: India women bag Gold medal in cricket September 25, 2023
- Sachithra Senanayake granted bail September 25, 2023
- Wanindu Hasaranga likely to miss ICC World Cup due to hamstring injury – report September 25, 2023
- Sri Lanka receives USD 890,000 interim compensation for damages by X-Press Pearl September 24, 2023
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023