President, Indian PM to strengthen Indo-Lanka ties
President Mahinda Rajapaksa and Indian Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh on Thursday stressed they would not leave any room for a disruption of the longstanding ties and friendly relations between Sri Lanka and India.
There are ample opportunities to resolve contentions issues if any, through friendly discussion and dialogue, they emphasised when they met in Rio de Janeiro on the sidelines of the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development Rio+20.
During the meeting, President Rajapaksa and Prime Minister Singh recalled the historic ties and friendly relations between the two countries and said they would pay constant attention to guarding and protecting them.
A press release by the President’s Media Unit said the proposed scheme to build 50,000 houses in the North and East with Indian assistance also figured at the bilateral talks between
the Sri Lanka President and Indian Prime Minister. It was agreed to start work on this project immediately. Construction work on the Sampur Power Plant was also discussed during the meeting.
A meeting between the Sri Lanka and Indian delegations preceded the bilateral talks between the two leaders.
Ministers Prof G L Peiris, Anura Priyadarshana Yapa, Wimal Weerawansa, Patali Champika Ranawaka and Mahinda Amaraweera, Deputy Minister Ms Nirupama Rajapaksa, Parliamentarian Sajin Vaas Gunawardene, Secretary to the President Lalith Weeratunge and Sri Lanka’s Permanent Representative in the UN Dr Palitha Kohona were also present.
Courtesy: Daily News
- Sri Lanka to initiate new online passport application system May 30, 2023
- India extends USD 1 Billion Credit Line for Sri Lanka until March 2024 May 30, 2023
- Cabinet approves resume of the Colombo Light Rail Transit project May 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to implement strict law enforcement against religious disharmony May 30, 2023
- Food insecurity improved in Sri Lanka but prevails within specific regions – FAO and WFP May 29, 2023
- ADB approves $350 Million for Sri Lanka economic stabilization programme May 29, 2023
- Ven. Rajangane Saddharathana Thera arrested May 29, 2023
This meeting is a waste of time. One the one side (Sri Lanaka) we ahave a visionary leader who is destined to lead the nation for at least 3 deacades. On the other side (the Indian side) we have a leader who is tottering, whose party is trying to get rid of him (by nominating him as president; even that move failed).
India has had poor leadership; it can only return with the rerturn of the Gandhi family.
This Manmorgan Singh and KarunaNidhi are just a waste of time. We shouldn’t be saying anything more than hi to them.