President makes a sudden visit to Maligawatte Kidney Hospital
President Maithreepala Sirisena made a sudden observation visit to the Kidney Hospital in Maligawatte on Monday afternoon. His visit the hospital to find out about complaints with regard to suspension of operations at the Kidney Hospital in Maligawatte.
Specialist physician Dr. Nalaka Gunawansa said that kidney transplants have been fully suspended due to the entry of a germ into the intensive care unit of the hospital. He added that although the relevant authorities were enlightened on the state of the ICU, no remedial measures have so far been taken. Dr. Gunawansa further said that 52 patients underwent successful kidney transplants at this hospital from July 2013 to July 2014.
The president has instructed the Director of the Presidential task force Asela Iddawela to immediately intervene to restore the activities at the intensive care unit. He has also been ordered to monitor daily, the activities of the unit. The president has also instructed the Secretary to the Ministry of Health D.M.R.B.Dissanayake to look into the possibility of acquiring the land adjoining the hospital belonging to the provincial council, to the hospital.
The president has also held cordial discussion with the patients and inquired of their wellbeing. He has also exchanged opinion with the relatives of the patients, who have arrived from outstations. The president has pledged to take every possible measure to eliminate kidney diseases. He also said that the kidney treatment unit setup at the president’s office will be engaged in islandwide kidney disease treatment programmes. The president was also engaged in a discussion with the physicians and the hospital staff regarding the future activities.
(Government News Portal)
- Seven Police Narcotics Bureau officers arrested over death of vocational trainer in custody June 9, 2023
- Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security recommends not to privatise Sri Lanka Telecom June 9, 2023
- Sarath Fonseka resigns from Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security June 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka must protect the right to freedom of expression June 9, 2023
- Five-year-old child found dead with cut injuries from a construction site in Mulleriyawa June 9, 2023