President meets UN Chief and holds talks with other leaders too
President Mahinda Rajapaksa who is New York attending the UNGA summit called on UN Secretary General Ban Ki moon in New York and held one on one talks at UN office Presidential sources said.
President during his address in UNGA had apprised the world leaders of the latest post conflict situation in Sri Lanka and said that as he mentioned in his address to UNGA Sri Lanka has accorded highest priority on building a lasting peace, healing wounds, ensuring economic prosperity and guaranteeing the rights of the whole nation to live in harmony.
President and Mr Ban also exchanged views on the UN SG Committee on Sri Lanka and President said that he has established Lesson Learnt Reconciliation Commission in expression of principles of Accountability and the Commission has already submitted to him some proposals to be implemented in the administrative process in the country.
Meanwhile President also held bilateral talks with host of other leaders of friendly nations. Portugal PM Mr Jose Socrates, President of Hungary and the Malaysian Prime Minister Dato Seri Mohd Najib Bin Tun Haji Abdul Razak were amonog the leaders whom he met for bilateral talks
Government News Department
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka moving towards social revolution – Anura December 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka needs US $ 1.4 trillion additional investment to realise SDGs by 2030: IPS study December 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Sports Minister appoints new National Sports Council December 4, 2023
- ‘We quit our stressful public sector jobs to earn £150 a month in Sri Lanka’ December 4, 2023
- Suminda Sirisena passes away December 4, 2023