President Rajapaksa arrives in Moscow
Onlanka News – By Janaka Alahapperuma – (Pix By: Sudath Silva)
President Mahinda Rajapaksa arrived at Vinukoa International Airport in Moscow today (6th February) for three day official visit to Russian Federation.
This afternoon President Rajapaksa will be awarded an Honorary Doctorate by the People’s Friendship University of Russian Federation (PFU), formally known as Patricia Lumumba University for his contribution for world peace and outstanding success against defeating terrorism. The PFU is celebrating its 50th Anniversary and to mark this special occasion it has been decided to award the Honorary Doctorate to the Sri Lankan President. After the award ceremony a special reception will be held at the Great Kremlin Concert Hotel in Moscow.
During President Rajapaksa’s three day official visit, there will be a bilateral discussion with his counterpart President Dimithri Medvedev. He is also scheduled to hold talks with former President and the present Prime Minister of Russia Vladimir Putin, other government officials and the business community.
The delegation includes Madam Shiranthi Rajapaksa,Foreign Minister Rohitha Bogollagama,Minsters Prof.G.L Peiris, Anura Priyadarshana Yapa, Susil Premajayantha, Mahindananda Aluthgamage, MP Wimal Weerawansa and the Secretary to the President Mr.Lalith Weeratunga.
Sri Lankan Ambassador for the Russian Federation Mr Udayanga Weeratunga was present at the Moscow airport to welcome the President and his team.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Ministry of Defence announces updates to licensing conditions for private security agencies September 27, 2023
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023
- Sri Lankan President leaves for Germany September 27, 2023