President Rajapaksa Conferred with the “Star of Palestine”
The Government of Palestine today conferred President Mahinda Rajapaksa with the “Star of Palestine” – the highest award of the State of Palestine.
“The relations between Sri Lanka and the State of Palestine are exceptional and we remain committed to extending our fullest support to the State of Palestine and the friendly people of Palestine,” President Rajapaksa said during the conferment ceremony.
President Rajapaksa, on behalf of the people of Sri Lanka, conferred the “Sri Lanka Mitra Vibhushana” awards on former Palestinian President Yasser Arafat and current President Mahmoud Abbas.
The President, First Lady Shiranthi Wickremasinghe Rajapaksa and a Sri Lankan delegation are currently visiting the Middle East engaging in state visits to Jordan, Palestine and Israel.
Minister of External Affairs Prof. G.L. Peiris, Monitoring MP of the Ministry of External Affairs Mr. Sajin de Vass Gunawardena, Parliamentarians Ms. Kamala Ranatunga and Mr. Roshan Ranasinghe, Secretary to the President Mr. Lalith Weeratunga and Sri Lanka’s Ambassador in Jordan Mr. Gamini Rajapakse comprise the Sri Lankan delegation.
(Courtesy: President Media)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023