President takes tough stance against harmful agreements
President Maithripala Sirisena, during a district progress review meeting held in Bibile yesterday said, he will not allow the Government to sign any agreement harmful to the country or that which would defy its sovereignty and independence.
He said there is a debate in society now on the appropriateness of agreements such as SOFA and the Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC) and irrespective of the direction in which the arguments sway, he will not give the green light for them.
He said, “Nowadays, there are various discussions circulating in the media claiming that the Government is bidding to betray the country by signing problematic agreements such as the SOFA, and the MCC.”
“There is a controversy clouding the proposed agreements with America, and a land act that is not in the interest of the island,” he said detailing the unwanted proposals.
President Sirisena reiterated, he is determined not to sign any of these agreements, and by no means would he permit them during his presidency, though, some foreign powers want to make Sri Lanka their base.
(Source: Sunday Observer – By Pranavesh Sivakumar)
- Sri Lanka relaxes import restrictions on over 300 items June 10, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to go ahead with privatising SLT despite ‘NO’ from S.O.C. on National Security June 10, 2023
- Seven Police Narcotics Bureau officers arrested over death of vocational trainer in custody June 9, 2023
- Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security recommends not to privatise Sri Lanka Telecom June 9, 2023
- Sarath Fonseka resigns from Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security June 9, 2023
by October 29 th there will not be a President in Sri Lanka as Maitripala’s term will be over as such Ranil will be the President and he may decide by a vote in Parliament to give the 225 members of Parliament The powers of the President .From the above the UNP and its allies will number over 160 members in Parliament as such the President is unable even to lift a finger against the UNP
Fully agree with you Engr Perera,
The King is already in the National Rubbish Bin. Another politician in the National Rubbish Bin is Kudu Duminda who murdered Late Premachandra.
Ranil will definitely be the next President of SL.