President to present new Policy Statement
President Gotabaya Rajapaksa is scheduled to present the new Government Policy Statement at the ceremonial sitting of the first session of the Ninth Parliament on August 20, 2020.
The President is scheduled to chair the inaugural meeting at 3.00 pm and the statement of the new Government’s policy as provided by Article 33(2) of the Constitution will be read by the President.
Upon arrival, President Gotabaya Rajapaksa will be received by the Speaker of Parliament and the Secretary General of Parliament Dhammika Dasanayake at the main staircase of the Parliament building, followed by the hoisting of the Presidential flag.
The President will be accompanied to the House of Parliament by the Serjeant-at-Arms, Deputy Serjeant-at-Arms, Assistant Serjeant-at-Arms followed by the Speaker of Parliament and the Secretary General of Parliament where he will present the new Government Policy Statement.
Meanwhile, on the same day, the 9th Parliament will convene at 9.30 am starting with electing the Speaker of Parliament followed by the Members’ oaths or affirmation.
Thereafter, the Deputy Speaker and the Deputy Chairperson of Committees will be elected respectively.
(Source: Daily News)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Ministry of Defence announces updates to licensing conditions for private security agencies September 27, 2023
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023
- Sri Lankan President leaves for Germany September 27, 2023