President visits Gnanasara Thera at Prison Hospital
President Maithripala Sirisena has met Bodu Bala Sena General Secretary Ven. Galagodaththe Gnanasara Thera at the Welikada Prison Hospital on Saturday.
Sources said that the President had visited the prelate at the Prison Hospital after attending a ceremony held at the Welikada Prison to grant Presidential Pardon for 762 inmates. However, Ven. Galagodaththe Gnanasara Thera was not among the list of persons who were granted presidential pardon.
Sources said MP Thilanga Sumathipala, Northern Province Governor Suresh Raghavan and Prisons Commissioner General had accompanied the President to visit Gnanasara Thera.
It was reported that President and the prelate had a discussion which lasted about ten minutes. However, it is learnt that no decision was reportedly taken during the meeting to release the monk.
Ven. Gnanasara Thera had been sentenced to 19 years imprisonment to be served in six years for contempt of court.
(Source: Daily Mirror – By Darshana Sanjeewa Balasuriya)
- Sri Lanka to initiate new online passport application system May 30, 2023
- India extends USD 1 Billion Credit Line for Sri Lanka until March 2024 May 30, 2023
- Cabinet approves resume of the Colombo Light Rail Transit project May 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to implement strict law enforcement against religious disharmony May 30, 2023
- Food insecurity improved in Sri Lanka but prevails within specific regions – FAO and WFP May 29, 2023
- ADB approves $350 Million for Sri Lanka economic stabilization programme May 29, 2023
- Ven. Rajangane Saddharathana Thera arrested May 29, 2023
Gnanasara will shortly be moved to the Executive Wing of the President’s residence in Paget Road.
That is exultant Mr/s, Esmee Fonseka. This is because Ven Gnanasara predicted about NTJ’s intentions three years ago. May be he can pump some seance to HE Sirisena’s empty head.