Price of bread hiked from midnight
It has been decided to temporarily hike the price of a 450 g loaf of bread by Rs. 5 from midnight today (20), stated the Chairman of the All Ceylon Bakery Owners’ Association N. K. Jayawardena.
Jayawardene noted all bakery owners were facing difficulties following the increase of wheat flour prices by Rs. 8 of the 16th of November.
“70 per cent of the bakery owners run on a daily basis. They are used to buying wheat flour stocks sufficient for daily bakery products and recover the cost by selling them. after increasing the wheat flour price, we were unable to bear the cost,” he said.
However, the price hike will be only for bread and other wheat flour prices will not be affected by the price hike, he added.
Jayawardene claimed if bakeries continued in this manner it will lead to a shortage of bread and bakery products.
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
- Bruno Divakara remanded until June 07 June 1, 2023
- Over 9,000 dengue cases reported in Sri Lanka in May, 2023 June 1, 2023
Mr Chairman of Bakery Owners Association,
A knock on your door tonight ???
Let us know.