Protection of female child will ensure protection of entire society – President
President Mahinda Rajapaksa in a message to mark International Women’s Day 2012 ceremonies said this year’s theme ‘Let’s protect the female child’ is very appropriate and meaningful as the protection of the female child will help ensure the protection of the entire society.
“I have great pleasure in issuing a message to mark International Women’s Day ceremony 2012 organised by the Child Development and Women’s Affairs Ministry,” the President said.
The message: “The woman who occupies an elevated position in the Sri Lankan society rendered an excellent service towards economic and social development. She rendered a very important contribution, especially in the garment sector.
“Similarly, she makes a great contribution towards a dedicated role in the legal and and human resources sectors too. The woman has been able to occupy a significant place in almost all sectors including literary, medical, teaching and nursing sectors.
“The strongest foundation of our social link is the family in which women occupy the leading position. Therefore, it is the duty of the nation to protect and safeguard the pride and dignity owed to the mother.
“Ensuring protection and security of the woman is the duty of the people in a country. The theme ‘Let us protect the female child’ makes this year’s ceremonies more meaningful.
I believe that the protection of the female child will mean protection of the entire society. Everyone should keep alert towards achieving this objective.
“ I wish International Women’s Day commemoration ceremony all success.”
Courtesy: Daily News
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Ministry of Defence announces updates to licensing conditions for private security agencies September 27, 2023
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023
- Sri Lankan President leaves for Germany September 27, 2023