Public urged to use electricity sparingly
Public has been urged to use electricity sparingly and possible power cuts in the future due to tripping at the Norochcholai coal power plant, the Ceylon Electricity Board says.
The ECB further stated that details on power cuts will be notified via the media in future.
Earlier, the CEB said that necessary steps are currently being taken to reconnect the electricity generated by the Lakvijaya coal power plant in Norochcholai to the national grid following last morning’s break down.
The national grid had lost 900 megawatts of electricity due to a sudden break down in all three units of the power plant and this had resulted in power outages all the way from Anurdhapura to Chunnakam.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023
- Hearing of Danushka Gunathilaka’s case concludes, verdict to be delivered next week September 21, 2023