Ranil stops demolition of old buildings in City
Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe has ordered the Urban Development Authority (UDA) to stop demolishing old buildings in Colombo City.
Mr Wickremesinghe speaking to the media after touring Colombo City today said he had done so as the policy of the new government was to preserve the old buildings in Colombo and repair them while keeping them as they were.
However, he said, opportunities would be given to investors to open new hotels in the city — in keeping with the policy of President Maithripala Sirisena.
“Colombo was a famous city in the past, and the intention of the new government is to bring back this glory,'” he said.
Referring to the political situation, Mr. Wickremesinghe said he had decided to go in for a joint government with the Sri Lanka Freedom Party (SLFP) despite an offer by some SLFPers to cross over and enable him to form a UNP government in order to bring about a new political culture. He said former president Mahinda Rajapaksa had also welcomed a UNP plus SLFP government.
He promised that before long justice would be done by those UNPers who made a sacrifice to form a joint government.
“Uniting the UNP and SLFP is the first step towards turning the whole of parliament into one government,” he said, pointing out that he had made such a promise before the elections.
- Cabinet approves resume of the Colombo Light Rail Transit project May 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to implement strict law enforcement against religious disharmony May 30, 2023
- Food insecurity improved in Sri Lanka but prevails within specific regions – FAO and WFP May 29, 2023
- ADB approves $350 Million for Sri Lanka economic stabilization programme May 29, 2023
- Ven. Rajangane Saddharathana Thera arrested May 29, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya remanded till June 7 May 28, 2023
- Fuel quota to be increased from Tuesday May 28, 2023
Well, that’s what he is capable; a building supervisor. Not a Prime Minister.
Soon he will realize that holding national govt will be no use. Its like an old building too.
Not sure when it will fall apart.
It does not matter Niyamasinhalaya. What matters is the yankees have a foothold and the poodles serve them or not. Look at Iraq government for example. For how many years it has been going on?