Ranil to contest upcoming poll from Colombo District
UNP leader Ranil Wickremesinghe will contest the upcoming parliamentary election from the Colombo District, a senior UNP source told the Daily Mirror yesterday.
Wickremesinghe has already informed his party that he will be contesting the elections, amidst reports that he may be offered a national list seat by Deputy Leader Sajith Premadasa who is now leading the newly formed Samagi Jana Balawegaya Alliance, of which the UNP is the main constituent party.
The source said that Wickremesinghe’s camp had also maintained that there would be no change in the electorates of any members and all will contest from their respective constituencies. This statement comes amidst reports that some UNP members were trying to contest from different electorates, causing disagreement within the UNP.
“No one will be able to make any changes to their electorates and this has been conveyed to all members. No one can be involved in any kind of trading,” the source who is closely associated with Wickremesinghe said.
Meanwhile, the source further said that a final decision on the symbol will be taken on March 1 when the leaders and working committee meet, after which the UNP and its alliance members can prepare their campaign for the elections.
(Source: Daily Mirror – By Jamila Husain)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Permission not given to Chinese ship to dock, India’s concerns important: Sabry September 26, 2023
- Sri Lanka squad named for ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 September 26, 2023
- S&P raises Sri Lanka local currency ratings to ‘CCC+/C’, says outlook stable September 26, 2023
- Sri Lanka President expresses dissatisfaction with country’s current education system September 26, 2023
- Chinese model breaks U.S. hegemony: former Sri Lankan diplomat September 26, 2023