Ravi to quit shortly
Following a meeting with President Maithripala Sirisena yesterday at the Presidential Secretariat, Foreign Minister Karunanayake is likely to quit his portfolio shortly, according to sources.
A government spokesman said Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe, too, had attended the meeting at President Sirisena’s request.
Several SLFP ministers have demanded Karunanayake’s resignation pending the presidential commission of inquiry probe into alleged Central Bank-Perpetual Treasuries bond scams. They have called upon him to quit without facing the Joint Opposition’s no-faith motion.
Minister Karunanayake didn’t attend Cabinet meeting yesterday.
At the Cabinet meeting several ministers voiced concern over the way the Attorney General’s Department had questioned the Finance Minister on Aug 2. Health Minister Dr. Rajitha Senaratne claimed that the Attorney General’s Department had acted differently in cases where the bigwigs of the previous administration were implicated.
Minister Senaratne said the AG’s Department should swiftly act on those cases, too.
(Source: The Island – By Akitha Perera and Upali de Saram)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Countrywide power outage in Sri Lanka due to a system failure December 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka to implement another electricity tariff revision in January 2024 December 9, 2023
- ‘Kush’ worth Rs. 100 Million seized in luggage left behind at Bandaranaike International Airport December 9, 2023
- Air Arabia launches direct flights to Sri Lanka from Abu Dhabi December 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka Navy promotes 1,877 personnel on its 73rd anniversary December 9, 2023